Friday, October 29, 2010

It's Good to be a Girl

This blog post comes after a quick trip to ESPN headquarters in Bristol, CT. Not to drop names (but I will anyway) I'm just pretty lucky to have walked across campus with Chris Fowler and discussed the weather with Bob Ley. Ahhh. Nothing like a little brush with fame to start off an epic Halloween weekend. 

I grew up with a fantastic brother who helped make sure that I was well-educated on the finer things in life - a great macrobrew, the 1992 Dodgers starting line up, the patience to watch 3 NFL games in a row, how to bet a trifecta, etc. Couple this with a love a skiing and hatred of chocolate and *chatting* on the phone and well... sometimes I don't feel like the typical girl.

However, after a trip to the heart of the mans sporting mecca - I'm appreciating everything that I like about being a girl. My house (aka My Barbie Dream Home) is taking on a decidedly girly touch that I am absolutely loving. The previous owners had 2 small girls - each with there own cotton candy pink bedroom. Since being a girl requires a fantastic collection of party dresses, purses and shoes, I've turned one of the bedrooms into a closet room.

Much of the room's decor is still in progress, but my latest project involved revamping a vanity chair to fit the color scheme. Nice thing about this project is that since I am on the "my car unexpectedly required new brakes budget," it could be done on the cheap.

The chair was a TJ Maxx find - and I must admit for home decor I am a *Maxxanista." Shopping TJ Maxx, Ross and Marshalls can produce some finds as good as your local vintage store or flea market.

I picked up this small vanity chair for $25. I removed the seat with a handy-dandy Phillips screw driver, then recovered with a $5 pink ultra-suede remnant from the local fabric store using a staple gun and a bit a patience. Since antique brown just doesn't say "girl," I repainted the chair in chrome spray paint that I picked up at the Home Depot.

All and all the entire project was done in 1 day for less than $40. And I think I did Barbie proud. Somehow this looks quite similar to the one they are selling for America's blonde princess at Toys 'R Us these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment