Thursday, June 23, 2011

TV Dinner? Yes, please.

Cooking for a friend tonight and wanted to do something special. 

My mom didn't let me eat TV dinners very often. Usually only when it was baby-sitter night. My dad let me eat them more often. On the other hand, he never let me touch, let alone open, the mini-bar in hotels on vacation.

Mini-bars are now the first thing I go for in hotels - even if it is just for a bottle of water or a pack of almonds. In the same vein, I want to go back to the "forbidden" tv dinner.

So in all honesty, the trip back to the TV dinner land is also inspired by some recent comments. Listen peeps, just because I am invited to drink Dom with the man that owns the universe and end up at roof top wine tastings or impromptu pool parties, does not mean I am snobby. And just because I make Zabaglione, doesn't mean I have a sophisticated palate. It just means I like to experiment. I can dress it down for the game, just as easily as I can dress it up for places with 24 forks. 

So back to dinner. I am going to Vegas in a week - which means lots of pool time. Thus, I can't afford to do the heavy, greasy TV dinner. Instead, I used my favorite Swanson's as an inspiration and opt'd for a more low-cal fare. 

  • "Lighter" Fried Chicken Strips 
  • Cauliflower Puree
  • Fresh Pea Salad with Radishes and Pickled Onion 
  • Lemon Sorbet and Strawberries
"Lighter" Fried Chicken Strips

* Ingredients * 
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn flake crumbs
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
Olive oil

*Instructions * 
1. Cut chicken breast into thin strips. Marinate for 1 hour in buttermilk.
2. Mix flour, corn flakes, carynne and thyme together.
3. Coat chicken in flour mixture.
4. Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in frying pan. Fry chicken until cooked all the way through.
5. Absorb excess oil with paper towels.


As the final touch to my meal, each item is placed in its own little cup. Now, its time to sit down and watch the new episode of the Real Housewives of NYC. Although the food may be light, I am not immune to guilty pleasures.  :) 

1 comment: