Sunday, June 19, 2011

Omelet-ville

So I had originally planned this post for Mother's Day. Instead of an omelet, I was going to call it a "momelet." Schedules being what they are however, that didn't happen. So instead for my parent's breakfast this morning, Father's day, I made momelets and "dadlets" in a tribute to both of them!   


Circa 1980. When I was blonde and Dad had hair.

If I could be thankful for just one thing in life, I would be thankful for my parents. They are kind and giving people. Even to this day, my dad mows my lawn because I don't have a lawn mower and helps me put together IKEA furniture because I am not smart enough to follow instructions. (Hey - they don't teach how to use an Allen wrench as an MBA class.) My mom is the chief dog nanny slash personal assistant. She even will pick up my dry cleaning and not pass along the bill. Recently, she has been revamping my backyard and is the toast of all the neighbors.  

The menu for the morning:

- Smoked Salmon, Shallot and Gruyere Omelets
- Mushroom, Chive and Chevre Omelets 
- Breakfast Potatoes  

 

I just recently was taught how to make a good omelet. Some tips that I have learned on my journey so far:

- Cook omelets in a non-stick pan, greased with butter over low heat. If the butter is browning, the pan is too hot.
- A good rubber spatula is your best omelet success tool
- Experiment! Any topping can be a new egg adventure. Although I kept it traditional today, it's kinda like pizza. Sometimes unlikely combos are the best and most interesting options.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your parents. They are so lucky to have such a thoughtful, loving and caring daughter. This was awsome! LE

    ReplyDelete