Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Classics… Football and Cupcakes


Big game is coming up on Sunday. Seattle Seahawks vs. Chicago Bears to decide who plays for the NFC Championship. This is match-up is a tough one for me. Love the home team, love the underdog, but my team has always been “Da Bears.” I think it started out with a fascination with Jim McMahon’s headbands, led a laugh about Ditka’s tirades and finally a total respect for Payton’s runs. And c’mon the Superbowl Shuffle – a classic. I lived with a 1985 Super Bowl Champions sign on my wall for most of my younger years.

I decide to honor the “big game” with a few cupcakes. Since I didn’t want to get run out of the city of Seattle for treats devoted to the Monsters of the Midway, I opt’d for a more neutral design. (Don't worry, I am sure I will get plenty of boos for my sweatshirt this weekend.) Football is made out of piped chocolate. Goal post are candy sticks used to make lollipops and the like.  

Now, cupcakes have officially made it on People magazine’s “not hot” list. Shine.com is calling them a fad equivalent to truffle salt. I have never had truffle salt (or bubble tea for that matter), but I do remember eating cupcakes as a little girl at about every grade school birthday party I attended. I remember making them on mommy-daughter Saturday afternoons. I separated the liners and was in charge of the sprinkles. Yep, that’s right. I was the sprinkles manager. Granted the number of “boutique” cupcake shops is a little out of control, but cupcakes are not a fad. They are a classic, same as diamond studs and cashmere…. and of course the Superbowl Shuffle.    

1 comment:

  1. Diamond Studs. Cashmere. Cupcakes. Football.
    I heart all the above.
    xoxoxo
    L.

    ReplyDelete