Sunday, April 24, 2011

Be Very, Very Quiet...

... we are hunting for rabbits! Happy Easter.

Here are 5 chance facts about me, rabbits and Easter: 


1) My oldest dog is named Haasenpfeffer. In German that means "Rabbit Stew."


2) As a child, my friend's mom used to use the phrase "quick, quick like a bunny" when she wanted Kristen and I to hurry along. I still use this today. Sometimes, I get strange looks at work. 


3) A kid in 4th grade brought in rabbit bones to look at. He said it was for science. Mrs. Fraley (the teacher) was not impressed. 

4) Back to the dogs. My boys used to love to chase the bunnies at Woodland Park. There are no more bunnies for them to chase. Thank you hippies. 


5) Lapin is rabbit in French. Pâques is Easter in French.


I love bunnies and I love France. A few people have asked why I love France so much. I don't know - memories of great times in Paris, Nice, Chamonix? Watching Amelie one too many times? Or maybe it is how good the Parisians are to their dogs? I gotta love any city that will sit a pooch at a table in a 5-star restaurant. I can't even get Zeuggie into
The Attic.

For this years Easter dinner, I opted for a feast devoted to France. 

Decor:
 

  • For France, the Eiffel Tower.  A Marshall's $5.99 find. 
  • For Easter, Stargazer Lilies. One of my faves.Instead of a large bouquet, I opt'd for small glasses with blossoms closers to the table.  
  • A green table cloth - said fresh and spring! 
Menu:  
  • Baguette
  • Salade verte a la vinaigrette aux noix et echalotes (Salad with Walnut Shallot Vinaigrette)
  • Daube d'agneau printanier au champange et aux fevres (Spring Lamb Daube with Champange and Fava Beans) 
  • Gallette des Pommes (Apple Gallette)
Since I had limited time, I wanted to put my focus on the lamb. Baguette was from the local bakery, salad green from a bag and in a move that would for sure get me kicked off Top Chef, I used puff pastry for the gallette. 


Spring Lamb Daube 


* Ingredients *
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon peanut oil
3 pounds lamb shoulder, cubed
2 cloves garlic, shooped
2 cups Champagne 
12 small, red potatoes
1 14.5 ounce can beef broth
4 small turnips, peeled quarted
12 ounces baby carrots
3 cups fresh or frozen lima beans 
2 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon 


* Instructions *    
1. Heat 2 tablespoons and peanut oil in Dutch oven. Brown lamb with garlic for 5 minutes. 
2. Add Champagne. Braise for 60 minutes 
3. Add potatoes and beef broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. 
4. Add turnips and carrots. Cook for 15 minutes.  
5. Add lima beans. Cook for 15 minutes. 
6. Stir in flour. Cook for 10 minutes. 
7. Sprinkle with fresh tarragon. 

2 comments:

  1. The dinner was fabulous. The food was delicious, the table was so very beautiful and the hostess was gracious. Thank you Anne. It was a blessing and privilege to dine with you this Easter. Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete