Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April Showers Bring…

I admit day after day (after day after day) of rain is leading me to be a little stir crazy. Seattle, I know you are a practical joker. You tease with a warm ray here and there, only to catch me in a down pour 10 minutes later when I am without a coat or a bumbershoot. Seattle,  I know you you are a Don Juan, man-whore and are having an ongoing romance with the mist, the rain, the cold, the drizzle and the general gray days all at once. But, Seattle, PLEASE your love affair must end. For god sakes, we need a summer this year! Either that or I need a vacation to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Since I am without my own private jet and spent my frequent flyer miles on a folly, I decided to fast forward the adage “April Showers bring May Flowers” by making some flower cookies. Placed in a pot, these treats make excellent favors for showers, lined up for an edible dessert center piece, or potentially bundled into a larger pot for a Mother’s Day gift (yep… that is right around the corner.)

The pots, foam to hold the flowers, ribbon and straw can all be purchased at your local craft store such as Michaels or Joann’s. Below is the recipe for the cookies… I encourage everyone to make them – not only are they a sweet treat, but definitely can bring a little sunshine into a rainy afternoon.

Flower Shortbread Cookies
* Ingredients *   
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

* Special Tools *
Red Food Coloring
Pastry Cutter
Candy sticks
Chocolate sprinkles 

* Instructions *  
1. In electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla, nutmeg and almond extract and continue to mix until well combined.
2. Add flour and salt and mix until dough sticks together.
3. Divide into 3 balls. Mix red food coloring into one and yellow into other, leaving one ball uncolored. Wrap each ball separately in saran wrap and chill in refrigerator for 1-3 hours.
4. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. On floured surface, roll out each of the 3 balls. Cut a variety of petal shapes using pastry cutter.
5. Line baking sheets with parchment. Place cut petals around candy sticks. Press dragrees into center. Bake for 15 minutes.  
6. Cool completely. Decorate with icing if desired. Place candy sticks into floral foam inside pot. Decorate with straw and ribbon.

1 comment:

  1. Those are the cutest and I agree, we need a little pick me up in Seattle. I can see a whole bouquet of these in the near future. Thanks

    ReplyDelete