Thursday, February 24, 2011

Friday means Frittata

Yes, I know. It’s Thursday. But, hey you need time to get the ingredients for tomorrow. :)

I live alone and sometimes cooking lunch or dinner is challenging. What can I make with minimal, basic ingredients? What can I make that will save and/ or freeze for that long day after work when I just can’t make myself cook or for that matter go to the worst place in the world… the grocery store? Yes, my hell would be to be trapped at QFC UVillage for an eternity. Ton of people, ton of squeaky carts and a ton of things I shouldn’t eat (a.k.a., maple bars).

Anywhooo, I was looking for a great healthy option that is “savable.” I opt’d for a frittata – egg, starch and veggies. Yes, I know 8 eggs and cheese doesn’t always equate to healthy, but fresh ingredients are always better than processed. And remember, don’t eat the whole thing at once unless you are training for a marathon or some other such calorie-burning event.  

3 Mushroom Potato Frittata

* Ingredients *
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced white onion
2/3 cup chopped white mushrooms
2/3 cup chopped Cremini mushrooms
2/3 cup chopped Portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1 large russet potato, shredded
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup milk
8 eggs
Optional: Sour cream

* Instructions *
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat olive oil in skillet. Sauté mushrooms and onions for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and sauté for an additional minute. Transfer to 10 inch baking dish or skillet. 
3. Layer potatoes on top of mushroom mixture. Top with cheese.
4. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and rosemary. Pour over mushroos and  potatoes.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream or other creamy topping. 

FYI: I highly recommend this recipe. Probably more than anything else that I have posted. I burned my hand taking the pan out of the oven, and the taste was still worth the injury. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment