Monday, September 20, 2010

Martha meets Vogue? I wish…

A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend told me, “You are Martha Stewart meets Vogue.”  Best compliment I have ever received… and frankly way, way exaggerated.

I love to bake, craft, decorate and throw (and attend!) fabulous parties. To keep me out of trouble, I thought I would start a blog to share some of my tips, tricks and creativity.

Ideas are meant to be shared, expanded upon on and then made your own. I hope you will take some of my experimentations and make them even better!

To kick this off, let’s get started with Apple Upsidedown Spice Cupcakes with Hot Buttered Rum Glaze.

The recipe for this desert is quick and simple… which makes it the best type of desert. Looks fancy but can be whipped out after work or a few hours before your event.

Also perfect – minimal ingredients. The idea for the glaze was actually developed after I realized that I had no milk and was too lazy to walk a block and a half to Bert’s. Funny. I have rum in my house but no milk.

* Ingredients *
For the cake…
1 box spice cake mix
2 eggs
½ cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup brown sugars
2 apples, core and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons lemon juice

For the glaze…
½ cup butter (1 stick)
¾ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons rum  (or more to taste!)
1 cup confectioners sugar

Other materials needed…
Parchment Paper
Muffin Tin
Cookie Sheet
Small Sauce Pan

* Instructions *
1.   Trace and cut out 16 parchment paper circles approximately 2 inches in diameter. Grease and flour muffin tins and the place the parchment circles in the base of the muffin tin.
2.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3.   Combine cake mix, eggs, oil and vanilla in electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
Note: Cake batter will be thick.  
4.   Mix apples, pumpkin pie spice and lemon juice.
5.   Crumble brown sugar in muffin tins, on top of the parchment. Layer 1/16 of apple mixture (approximately 1 tablespoon) on the sugar, followed by 1/16 of the cake batter (approximately 2 tablespoons). Muffin tins should be 3/4 full when all ingredients are added.  
6.   Bake for 18-22 minutes. Top of the cake should spring back to touch.
7.   Cool in muffin tins for 5 minutes. Place cookie sheet on top of muffin tin and flip. Remove parchment circles.
8.   For glaze, heat butter and brown sugar until melted and well combined, stirring constantly. Add rum. Heat for 3-5 more minutes, remove from heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle over cakes immediately.

Yields: 16 cupcakes  

2 comments:

  1. I've got two quick questions. First off are the parchment cicles needed? Could I just really butter the muffin tins? If not can I reuse them? Call me lazy but cutting 16 circles sounds like work.

    Second I wonder how Rye Whiskey or bourbon would work instead of rum. I think the spice of the whiskey would go well with the pumpkin pie spices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lazy enough not to cut circles, but industrious enough to make your own cake mix. To each their own, Rob!

    Haven't tried Rye Whiskey or Bourbon, but I will have to give it a whirl next go around.

    ReplyDelete