Friday, September 24, 2010

Favorite Breakfast… As a Cake.

Alright, I’ve been on a little of a baking kick… per request of course. ;)

Tonight, I am headed to Drew and Emily’s and asked to bring dessert. I am often inspired by other meals and how I can turn the flavors into a dessert. (I did some peanut butter and banana cupcakes once… inspired by fourth grade lunch. Awesome.)

My creation of the night is play on my favorite breakfast – the specialty waffle. My favorite waffles ever in Seattle were from a restaurant now closed – Mini’s. It featured a decadent sweet syrup, batter spiced with nutmeg and a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar.  From these memories, I created Cinnamon Nutmeg Cake with Banana Topping.

I eliminated the whip cream found on most waffles. I leave it up to you whether you incorporate that back into your own recipe.

P.S. No comments about again going with a cake mix. I’m a working girl. After 30+ hours of meetings per week, some shortcuts are certainly allowed.

* Ingredients *
For the cake…
1 box white cake mix
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons nutmeg

For the topping… 
1 tablespoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoons butter

For the bananas and syrup…
3 large bananas, cut into ½ inch slices
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

Other materials needed…
1 – 9 inch springform pan
Pastry Brush

* Instructions *
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pan.
2.   Beat together cake mix, eggs and sour cream using a paddle attachment on an electric stand mixer on medium-low speed until well combined. Add vanilla and nutmeg.
3.   Pour batter into pan and bake for 50 minutes until tester comes out clean.
4.   Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turnover on plate and cool for another 15-20 minutes.  
5.   Mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon.
6.   Melt butter in small frying pan.  
7.   Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter over cake. Moving a section at a time, sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over cake.
8.   Reserve remaining butter. Add the additional 4 tablespoons of butter and brown sugar to saucepan. Melt until bubbly, stirring constantly.
9.   Add banana slices to pan. Cook 2 minutes per side until nicely browned. Transfer to plate and cool for 5 minutes. Top cake.
10. Drizzle remaining sugar and butter mixture over cake.  

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, as per usual!
    p.s can we get some Fall fashion tips next?? I need a closet update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't cake mix just flour, baking powder, salt and sugar? Couldn't you whip up a batch on the weekend and store it? I'm all for shortcuts, but something about cake from a box ...

    Also I love some booze in desserts, have you ever added rum to this one? Would you? And bring it over?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious - I'm going to try it! I would love a closet update too. Sharon

    ReplyDelete