Saturday, December 17, 2011

Eat. Drink. Be Merry.

First blog post in a while. Been working really hard and well, while I have done lots of creative things - parties, monkey hats, mini mac and cheeses - I haven't had the time or the gum shone to blog about anything. But, I thought today about how much I love my blog and for the 33 people who like me on "the Book" you mean the world to me. Seriously. One click and you win my heart. 

I was told today to be more modest. Kinda funny since many times I have been told that I sell myself short all the time. Maybe I just need to find a happy medium. I made 3 of the desserts below. (Not perfect out of the box.) Just to get it right - before I took the picture. (Only a perfectionist about my creative side.) When I delivered them - I got a text that read "I sent a picture to Martha with the caption the bar has been raised, bitch." (Yep... that's bragging. Also, I apologize since my mom told me not to swear on my blog.) I also burned my face on a curling iron this week. (Clumsy.) I make a crap load of mistakes. All I can do is try and apologize when I screw up. 

This weeks recipe... peppermint chocolate trifles. For those of you who missed Rachel's trifle experiment on Friends, trifles are not made with beef. Instead, they are a lovely layered dessert (sans protein).  To make your dish look more elegant, I always think it is a good idea to serve your food in individualized portions vs. family style. For this event, I chose champagne glasses on Wedgwood saucers. (Party tip - buy glassware at IKEA. $0.75 a glass vs a $1.10 to rent.) And well, after you read the recipe you will realize that the right serving dish can make the simplest of desserts look elegant. 

Peppermint Chocolate Trifles 

* Ingredients * 
1 box of chocolate cake 
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
1 1/4 cups water
1 box chocolate pudding 
3 cups whole milk 
2 cups whipping cream 
1/2 cup powdered sugar 
3 Tablespoons Peppermint Schnapps 
12 candy canes
Mint for garnish

* Instructions * 
1. Bake cake as instructed on box. Let cool completely. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1 inch squares.  
2. Cook pudding as instructed on box. (Yep... I told you this was stupid easy.) 
3. Beat cream in blender into stiff peaks. Add in sugar and liquor. 
4. Put 6 candy canes into a plastic Ziploc bag. Crush with spoon. 
5. Layer ingredients as desired. Garnish with mint and extra Candy Canes. 

2 comments:

  1. ok seriously i'm coming over. this looks DELISH!
    xxo H1

    ReplyDelete
  2. So easy. I made these for a holiday dinner last night and they turned out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete