Sunday, March 27, 2011

Italian... Randomly.

So, this is completely random. Three people in the 4 days have spoken Italian to me. I think this is the first time that I have heard it outside of Italy.

I don’t speak Italian. Nor, do I pretend to speak Italian. Nor, do I look Italian.  I do like Prada and Fendi tho. I speak *their* language.

Now, I will tell you the first to speak Italian to me - normal. He lived in Roma and it just came up in conversation. Second two people – outta nowhere. Nowhere - I tell you. Thus, random and a little spooky. 

Aside from not speaking the language, I do love Italy. I’ve shopped in Rome, caught powder in Courmayuer and stood in the rain in Siena.

Italians are for the most part are known for the most amazing food. I did however have the worst pizza in the world in Florence.  It was so bad, I took a picture. NOTE: I did not cook that pizza. I don’t know what self respective Italian restaurant would consider bread, ragu and cheese as pizza but I succeeded in finding the only place that this was served outside of a college dorm room.

I don’t often cook Italian food. When not baking, I like to cook French bistro food. However, all of this talk of Italy must me a sign, right? Tonight for my dinner, I decided to make a little pasta dish, inspired by carbonara, but also with a Seattle seafood influence.  Buon Appetito!

Carbonara ~ Seattle Style

* Ingredients *
3 ounces pancetta
1/2 pound Penne pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 pound fresh scallops
1/2 cup half and half
1/3 cup white wine
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoons salt
2 cups frozen peas, cooked
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley 
4 eggs  

* Instructions *
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pancetta on a rack and place rack on baking sheet.  Cook for 10-12 minutes or until crispy. Cool and crumble into small pieces.
2. Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt till al dente. Approximately 11-13 minutes.
3.   Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in to skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add scallops and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.  
4. In saucepan, combine half and half, white wine, flour and salt. Simmer until reduced, stirring frequently. Stir in scallops and garlic.
5. Toss pasta with sauce, pancetta, peas and cheese. Topped with parsley and poached egg.

If you don’t know how to poach eggs, I recommend checking out this site

PS If you are on a low cholesterol diet, maybe this recipe isn’t for you! J  

1 comment:

  1. This dish is fabulous. Tried it last night. Also, love the baking. You have a very creative spirit. Continue.....look forward to more ideas.

    ReplyDelete